Monday, July 20, 2009

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles

I didn't get to post anything last week because I was on vacation. But long flights and longer layovers means I got to read quite a bit... On another note, I'm playing with my sidebar. Like the book release countdowns? I think I'll limit it to a couple at a time. (If anyone knows how to use Widget.com, please let me know in the comments!) Now, on with the review...

Amy's father has no place in her life. He's usually good for a visit on her birthday, but that's about it. So when he announces that he's taking her to Israel, his homeland, Amy is rightfully ticked. Summer vacation has become summer torture, complete with intense security (she is in a war zone, after all), a cousin named after boogers, and a boy who is determined to hate her.

Amy's story is a fun read for the summer. She's a hilarious narrator, and she comments on everything. Even though it sometimes feels like a report for school (you know the classic, What I Did on My Summer Vacation), it's very readable and I actually learned some things about Israel.

Admittedly, I did find the storyline a bit predictable. Boy hates girl, girl doesn't know why, girl is attracted to guy, guy eventually softens up... wow, when put that way, it's like Twilight without the vampires! (just kidding)

But if you're looking for a light read, definitely check this one out. It has also expanded into a series, with sequels How to Ruin My Teenage Life and How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation(Oct '09)

1 comment:

  1. I saw the Perfect Chemistry book trailer the other day. It was so funny. That seems like a funnier read. If I like it, I'll be sure to pick up this one.

    ReplyDelete